Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

take a seat...


As a part-time antique dealer for over 15 years, I have owned a lot of things. Most of which I originally bought for myself, but eventually have decided to part with. Collections of yellow ware have come and gone. I was there for the stone fruit craze (all of which I have kept). The expensive breakables that couldn't find a home on a high shelf soon went as well when the kids were toddlers. One item I always find a place or use for (and never a need to sell) is a good bench. I have short ones, long ones, tall ones. Most are holding on to their original paint, now grungy and dry over time. That's how I like 'em! The short ones came in handy when the little ones were needing a boost to the sink or a foot up for potty training. The larger and longer ones can be pulled up to the table to make a good row of seating or as a narrow coffee table. I watch for the ones with the nice storage shelf below to tuck books and a place for the remote that is handy, yet out of sight.

This bench recently sold from Old Canada Antiques in Vancouver. Scott Landon, the owner, always seems to unearth incredible painted furniture and folk art.

http://www.oldcanadacountry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment