Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

My very own catch phrase...

I've been thinking a lot about blogs lately, and about the concept of accumulating other peoples ideas, thoughts, objects, photos, etc., and passing them off as somehow my discovery. I admit to being a bit jaded by the idea of capturing snapshots from other peoples work, vision and websites, then running it through a blog filter and feeling somehow responsible. Ya know? And, although I love a great idea and I am moved by something beautiful or well crafted, I do inherently feel like I have seen it all before. So what would I have to say?!

One evening lying in bed, searching through Etsy under the glow of my iphone, a light went on and I felt I had the concept or idea for my blog...

"It's not a new idea, but a GOOD idea!" (patent pending. Back off Martha, the teeshirts are already in production!) HA!

Somehow that takes the pressure off and I can now focus on being a conduit for ideas that are timelessly lovely, relatable and purposeful. My view will always be towards creating a naturally comfortable home, filled with an accumulation of memories, tasteful mementos and visual lovelies. I know how hard it can be to locate uniquely wonderful home accessories, especially if you want your environment to reflect an individuality of it's own. Any beautiful idea is mass marketed until there isn't a shread of life left in it. So, if I happen to stumble upon a unique item on Etsy or Ebay, I will pass the discovery on. Or maybe it's as simple as providing a reliable resource for artisan crafted vintage lighting. I bow before the truly talented craftsmen in a world where the masses are cleverly brainwashed into believing they are all latent masters of wall stenciling, entertaining or putting up preserves.

Whether it be American or French Country, Cottage, Farmhouse, Shabby or some new incarnation of basically the same idea (maybe the next big influence will be "The Great Depression", cleverly coined "Dust Bowl Chic"), you probably won't learn something incredibly new or fresh, but hopefully be reminded of what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment