Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

in(dust)rial....


We are all aware of the current decorating trend referred to as Industrial. I like the concept, but feel it is just a little cold for a home interior. Elements of it, yes, a whole interior? Those over sized boxy factory moving trucks are gorgeous, but I'm just plain worried about all the bruised chins caused by stumbling into one used as a coffee table. (I have the same opinion about rocking chairs! Menaces, if you ask me!). I also get irritated seeing any old piece of metal dragged into the local antique mall and labeled, "industrial." An old saw blade? Metal tool box? Seriously! (They do get the "dust" part of industrial right, I guess).

I did run across a site today that brought about this little tirade, only because I saw some trully interesting industrial pieces; amazing things that made think, "Now that's cool Industrial!"

Check out this coffee table made from the movement of a german church clock, circa 1800, from Texas based Installation Antiques (http://www.installationsantiques.com). Simply beautiful, one of a kind. Would it work in my french country inspired home, no. But do I see it as the focal point of an open urban loft? Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment